Sunday, February 11, 2007
GRATEFUL
Disclaimer: This entry is semi-selfish, slightly informal and sort of personal. Insecure, irritable and people who aren't really appreciative of my works are advised not to read any further.

"I can't deny the fact that you like me! You like me!"
-Sally Field upon winning an Oscar

The last time I competed in a film festival, I never really expected to win anything at all - my entry being filled with a couple of flaws plus the horrors of production including the before and after, which almost made me think twice about my passion for filmmaking. To my surprise, I did win something - an award for "Best Script", one that I still cherish up to now.

Recently I joined again another competition, just for the sake of having fun. Since my last film was almost anti-audience (and the audience really did not enjoy it [from my observations]), I wanted to try and find out if I could please a crowd; it was not really about winning something but more of seeing people enjoy watching my film. And having seen the best of the best entries, I knew I would not even make the cut as a finalist. However, once again, a miracle happened and my film became one of the eight finalists. Right then and there, I knew that that was the pinnacle of the film's journey; there's no way whatsoever that it would win something at all even if the film was also nominated for Best Acting Ensemble and Screenplay.

The screening came and I was surprised by how the audience liked the film. There even came a point where people who have seen (and perhaps loved) it were able to memorize the lines from the film (due to repetitive watching) or were even using them as their status message (in YM). From that moment on, I said to myself that I had already won since I never expected to get a reception that warm from the people who have seen it; and that was actually my objective - to see more than three people enjoy my film (Yes, I raised the bar from one [in id.] to three :P). I was really amazed on how people seemed to really like it; the fact that people who I didn't really know (or I really wasn't that much acquainted with) coming up to me and congratulating me for the film was really fulfilling.

Then came the awards night. As expected, I didn't win any of the categories where the film was nominated. However, due to a strange twist in the balance of nature, I did not come home empty handed.


And so I would like to take this opportunity to thank the 12 people who voted for Oneironauts, Nestle for the big gift packs and the 3 bluish pieces of rectangular paper (:P) and Fujifilm for the discount coupon. Of course, I would also like to thank the cast and crew - Karla, Kenot, Rey, Idel and Dom (Chocolate Kiss uli? :P). Thank you also to Bono and JT for the support and the feedback. And to each and every person who has seen and loved the film (despite its flaws), I give to you my deepest and sincerest gratitude. I never really expected people to like the film since it was really tough making a romantic comedy; finding the balance between romantic and sappy (Kumbaga sa Tagalog, mahirap magpakilig without being too corny). Thank you audience for making this film a (unexpected) cult hit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was truly a work of art, Makoy, and we are all proud of you. My sincerest congratulations. ^^

5:46 AM  
Blogger wongkarboi said...

Salamat! :)

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stranger

Kram has moved!
Graffiti


Trails

Detours
Ady
Ais
Alexis
Angela
Bea
CA
Chally
Cheenee
Cheska
Chevs
Cid
Dereck
Ella
Ginj
Inna
Jan
Joy
Joyce
Justin
Kenneth
Kram
Krayola
Melissa
Michelle
Migs
MM
Nikko
Patrick
Rana
Reena
Rey
RJ
Smither
Zyon

Sponsor


Google Search


Credits
Brushes
Image Host
Photo