Tuesday, December 20, 2005
OUR LIFE'S DANCE - REDUX
This article was posted almost exactly one year ago. (360 days ago to be precise) As I read it again, the more I feel like growing old. I couldn't believe I had written that just last year. Evolution is elementary. Procrastination to write; unearthing to recall. I am making no sense at all.

There's that one special day of the year where one celebrates the day he/she first came about in this world of ours. And I know two common emotions for that splendid day. For the children, it's one of the most exciting days of the year because they're getting older. But it is the opposite for the adults for most of them have fear of getting old! It's funny how each person regards a birthday, for each has different orientations and reactions. But for me… Well, it was just like an ordinary day.

I woke up at around 5:30. I hadn't had that much sleep because of the continuous barrage of greetings from my friends, colleagues and teachers. As usual, I had my daily ceremony ongoing – going online while sipping a cup o' coffee. But as tradition called, I took a bath and got dressed for Mass. It was kind of awkward that I attended Mass all by myself when the Church was celebrating the feast of the Holy Family. Despite that, there was that sense of fulfillment and independence so it didn't matter.

Later that day, I was rampaged by my friends – Rembrandt, Kristov, Millet and Majo, and so I had to show my inner Mrs. Dalloway side. Everything was going smoothly, we had a number of laughs, teases, enjoyments and all those fun stuff. But there was one remark that seemed not to escape my head and it was that of Kristov's. She told me that I looked old… as in older than what I am supposed to be. I don't know if it was my shirt or she was just nagging me but it kept on echoing on my brain. My hesitation increased as I asked my cousin who had passed by if I really look old and he said, "Yes."

But what is to get old anyway? As far as the meaning goes, according to Oxford it means "far on in the natural period of existence". As I was thinking of a title for this exquisite article, the word just hit my head… OLD! But I'm not cheesy enough to handle a one-word title and so I had thought of an acronym for it. Sure, there are lots of possible words to use for the letters O, L and D but I settled for the words "Our Life's Dance". I don't know why but it made some sense. Getting old is a bit like dancing – you get tired as you keep on moving further but along the way you enjoy it and you gain some benefits.

Up to now I am still unaware of Kristov's hidden agenda within that comment. But all I know is that I am happy with my life regardless what other people think or say. Yes, I am a year older. But now I fully understand the irony of children wanting to get old and adults wanting to get young. Children who are innocent want to get old because they crave for knowledge and maturity and they can't wait to be independent. Adults who are withering wish for companionship and want to get young but do not wish to give up their wisdom because they are afraid of death. But I tell you; there is nothing to be afraid of death. Well, who am I to say something like that? At least I have a little of what adults and children crave for – youth and wisdom backed up by independence and friends you can count on! Shall we dance?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stranger

Kram has moved!
Graffiti


Trails

Detours
Ady
Ais
Alexis
Angela
Bea
CA
Chally
Cheenee
Cheska
Chevs
Cid
Dereck
Ella
Ginj
Inna
Jan
Joy
Joyce
Justin
Kenneth
Kram
Krayola
Melissa
Michelle
Migs
MM
Nikko
Patrick
Rana
Reena
Rey
RJ
Smither
Zyon

Sponsor


Google Search


Credits
Brushes
Image Host
Photo