Tuesday, August 30, 2005
RED STREAKS
“If you're always battling against getting older, you're always going to be unhappy, because it's going to happen anyhow.” –Morrie Schwartz

When I was a kid, I loved playing in the grass. Just the thought of it reminds me of the smell of soil, most especially after it had rained; I could smell the aroma rising from the earthen ground as I stepped on the strands of grass fresh with droplets of morning dew. One rare thing that I enjoyed when I take a breather after a long day’s play was to stare at the grass; the movement of the grass while the wind danced with them was therapeutic. But what makes this event even more special was the presence of red in the streaks of the grass. As it waved, it seems as though it was fire that flickered as the red grass flirted with the wind – it reminded me that to be a child was eternal. I did not want to grow old and face the responsibilities and the reality elders have spoken about.

Why do people hate to grow old? Just yesterday, my two cousins talked about their wanting to be seventeen again. They said it was so different now compared to when they were at that age – the curiosity and urge of a growing boy gave them such distinct excitement and splendor; for now it seems like everyday is a routine. I, on the other hand feels the opposite; I want to grow old, as soon as possible… Now!

“With the crown of snow cometh wisdom”, that’s one of the quotes I live by in this critical age. As you grow older, you gain more knowledge, your wisdom expands. You learn more things about life that were once taboo when you were young. You learn lessons that make life more than what it seems. Like what Morrie said in the book Tuesdays With Morrie, you’ll never hear an 80-year old man want to be 17 again. Maybe he would want his youth back but he would never want to lose his wisdom he gained through the years. For the only reason behind this urge of becoming young once again is to escape the reality of death ( which I shall discuss further in the coming days).

I want to grow old because I’m tired of being entrapped within 4 walls. I believe that I am mature enough to face this so-called reality, this harshness, this survival of the fittest, this world.

Today, as I was on my way home, I saw a familiar object that glimmered against the sun – the red streaks tattooed on the grass. Unlike before, they reminded me of something else. It was not at all the fire of youth. It was the flame of glory.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

your entries shouldn't be open to the general public. you know why? some people might need a dictionary to look up for *ahem* difficult words. you require ACADEMIC audience, you see. hahaha. but anyways, i agree about the wisdom and stuff... but if you try to dig deeper, remaining five is always the best age a person can go through. i don't know why... but i always thought innocence is best shown during that age. for me, it's not all about the wisdom gained. but the process of gaining it. take care, kram!

7:25 AM  
Blogger wongkarboi said...

Hmmm... Thanks for the thought pero when you think of it, it's better to have a small audience than sharks. Haha. In general, people barely read my blogs. What more if privitized! Haha! Regarding the idea... Well, the process is indeed fun and exciting but sometimes it's a bit too dragging. Thanks lots for the comment Bea!

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stranger

Kram has moved!
Graffiti


Trails

Detours
Ady
Ais
Alexis
Angela
Bea
CA
Chally
Cheenee
Cheska
Chevs
Cid
Dereck
Ella
Ginj
Inna
Jan
Joy
Joyce
Justin
Kenneth
Kram
Krayola
Melissa
Michelle
Migs
MM
Nikko
Patrick
Rana
Reena
Rey
RJ
Smither
Zyon

Sponsor


Google Search


Credits
Brushes
Image Host
Photo